Yahoo! Sports - NBA - Portland Trail Blazers News

Thursday, July 12, 2007

oden resting

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
July 11, 2007

In an image from video, fans hold a welcome-home sign for Greg Oden during his introduction to several thousand cheering Portland Trail Blazers fans at a rally in Portland, Ore., Friday, June 29, 2007, the day after the team picked him in the NBA draft. The team ended months of debate Thursday night when they chose the Ohio State center over fellow college freshman Kevin Durant with the top pick.
AP - Jun 29, 6:04 pm EDT
More Photos

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Greg Oden is ready for his upcoming tonsillectomy because the NBA's No. 1 draft pick is "worn out" from a hectic summer and he welcomes the chance to rest.

The 19-year-old pick of the Portland Trail Blazers will have his tonsils out Saturday at the Vancouver Clinic in Vancouver, Wash.

"I'm not nervous," he told The Associated Press on Wednesday before attending the ESPY Awards. "People told me when you're older it's kind of bad, but I'm ready for it."

Oden said he needs the surgery to improve his breathing.

"Most people get maybe one or two sore throats a year. I'm at five or six and I can't swallow water," he said.

Post-surgery, Oden said he's looking forward to eating ice cream and Jell-O, his favorite flavor being blue raspberry.

Oden said the Blazers want him to remain in the Portland area for two weeks to recover from surgery. He will miss the rest of summer league play and the U.S. senior national team's minicamp July 20-22 in Las Vegas.

"I'm going to flush the basketball out for a couple weeks and just get ready for an 82-game season," he said.

"This summer I've traveled so much I'm actually worn out. I didn't think you could get worn out from just flying, but believe me I'm worn out."

No comments: