Yahoo! Sports - NBA - Portland Trail Blazers News

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thoughts on Summer League

From all the highlights, box scores and from the parts of games I've seen, here are some thoughts on the blazers people probably aren't talking about at summer league:

1. Martell Webster - His shot is so pretty, I'd say its perfect, however he really has no other parts of the game still coming into his third year. His ball handling skills look the same as they always have and he can't really break his man down even vs summer league competition. I hope he can continue to work, I think a couple years in college would have done wonders for him, however I'm glad to see hes still in a blazer uniform as his potential is tremendous. I did see an improvement in his defense which is a good sign, he also tends to hang around the three point line on offense which at this point is one of the only thing he can do on offense which is stroke open shots.

2. Josh McRoberts - Why doesn't he play more in the summer league, why do we keep feeding Zendon Hamiliton the ball and not giving this guy more burn, I just watched him hit a few mid range shots and he seems like a tremendous leaper for dunks. He also seems to be a pretty good passer for a big, I think this guy was a huge steal and I hope to see him get some serious burn as the the 4th or 5th big in the rotation next year.

3. Sergio Rodriguez - I love this guy, his energy and speed and ball handling is unmatched by anyone else out here in the summer league and hes so young. His defense needs work and he still tends to be the same Sergio we saw last year, very energetic however also very hectic. When he is running around its like chaos and out of control and thus makes mistakes and often tries to fall back to a three point shot that he hasn't developed fully yet.

4. Taureen Green - I think this could end up being another steal of the draft, I just wish he played more in the summer league. His shot is consistent and he is a pesky defender but can get bullied by bigger pgs. He is a good ball handler but tends to pass off and disappear in the offense.

On a final Note, I have noticed that there are so many fouls in summer league, its actually ruins the game and makes it unwatchable, it slows it down so much and some of the fouls are so ridiculous so I wouldn't put alot of stock into the Greg Oden foul situation.

1 comment:

Brett said...

i agree Josh McRoberts is going to be a steal at that pick. i see him beeing with portland as a solid role player for years to come.